Saturday, March 2, 2013

Carrie Vaughn Says It Better!

The twins were the same age Ian is now - 1 1/2 - when Babette found the Stuttgart Writers' Group for me. 
 
Camping at Boreen Point in January, 2013
 
Not only did she not give up on me, she quite possibly changed the course of my life.

I began to consider myself as someone who writes, rather than someone who would like to write.

I began to carry a notebook and, in doing so, slowly began to notice more of what was going on around me.

Five years later, I am learning to use my observations in my fiction.


Ryan's new sketching journal, Dreamworld, January 2013

Just now I realised that I am using my reading in my writing as well.  Ah, heaven!  I am like a starving child in a candy shop, surrounded by English language books of all genres, just free for the borrowing.

Rather than the four pages of drivel I have written about being Ryan's mother, here is a gem - or a lolly - I picked up from reading "After the Golden Age" by Carrie Vaughn.  It is a novel about being the daughter of superheroes.  In the very last pages, I found this.  Celia, the daughter of two invincible superhumans, is speaking to Arthur, the father of her own newborn daughter, as they gaze down at their child sleeping peacefully.  Arthur has supernatural telepathic powers himself. 

Head, shoulders, knees and toes.  Ian, 1/2013


"What have we done."  she said.  "What's she inherited?  I am goind to be watching her every minute to see if she flies, or shoots lightning, or talks to animals.  If she has a power...what are we going to do?  What will I tell her?  I'm scared for her."

"I think that's probably normal for any parent."

"I want her to be normal."

"You don't get to make that choice."

She looked at Arthur.  "You want her to have powers."

"Celia.  I want her to be happy."

Finding our Selves in Eumundi!  January 2013


I couldn't have said it better myself.

But I am working on it, Babette, thanks to you I am working on it!





No comments:

Post a Comment